Sunday 13 July 2008

Many superheroes, 3 movies - 1 winner.

Recent superhero movies have all been a letdown. Last couple of weeks, I have seen three superhero movies. Prince Caspian, Kung-fu panda and Hancock. Here's what I thought of them...

Finishing last was Hancock. I did expect more laughs from this movie. There were some scenes and dialogues that were funny but I guess my expectations from this movie were high. I did like the twist in the middle but then the second half of the movie spiralled off into this whole new movie, belonging to a completely different genre without much connection to the first half. The movie had way too much happening and made for, at best, an okay movie.

Prince Caspian and the Kings and Queens of old come in at second place. Decent animation, good visual effects, with child actors growing up into their roles and some good fight sequences made for an entertaining couple of hours. Peter Dinklage, as Trumpkin the dwarf, is amazing in the movie and I loved the accent. Also refreshing, was the comedy by the mouse king. these supporting actors, by far, have the best dialogues and the best dialogue delivery of the lot. Notable mention should be the centaur leader. He did seem like the one ideal to lead the Narnians instead of Aslan. Then again, I didn't write the book.

The winning superhero by a clear margin is the the fearless dragon warrior. Jack Black is in top form as the Kung-fu Panda and so is Dustin Hoffman as the master Shifu. Probably one of the best animated movies I have seen to date. (well, maybe Monsters Inc. was better) Amazing animation, breathtaking action sequences, very funny dialogues and a strong supporting cast set this movie up well. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the movie and will definitely buy the DVD when it comes out.

No comments: