Sunday 27 July 2008

Cricket me a pitch !

We won today. I had an okay day, but hey, we won !

We batted first and put up a 201 in 35 overs. I went in to open with Freddie and we didn't exactly get off to a flier but we didn't lose a wicket either. 10 overs in and we were 40/0. Decent start considering we were always 2o/2 or something like that in like 4 overs. Although the pitch was very dry, it was really slow, low and unpredectible. We soon stumbled to 52/2 with both the openers, me and Freddie back in the pavilion. I scored 20. Don't know what I was thinking and decided to play on the back foot to a short pitch delivery on our home pitch, a pitch where the ball is never where you expect it to be was caught plumb in front of the wickets. So plumb that even our own empire couldn't save me. Anyway, the middle order also collapsed until we were rescued by a 75 run 6th wicket partnership and some late order hitting got us to 201. This was a very good score on our home wicket where usually 150 is a winning total.

Our opening bowlers started off well and we had them 20/2 in 5 overs. But some good hitting by one of their openers got them back into the game and they were soon at 75/2 in 15 overs. This was until the spin duo came on. One left arm spinner (Singh) complimented by a right hand leg spin bowler from the other end (Me) and very soon the match changed shape. Singh ended up with figures of 7-1-14-4 and I from the other end got 6-3-4-2. We got the quickies to come back in and close the match off and they were all out for about 120. :-)

My batting average is in a bit of a mess this season. So far 5 matches with scores of 25, 14, 4, 0 and 20. Last season I averaged a little over 30. Well, I will be out of London next weekend and so no match, but am hoping to improve the scores in the coming matches.

At least my bowling has been going better. I kept wickets in 2 of the 5 matches but in the other three that I have bowled in, I have ended up with about 10-5-16-3. Not too bad for a leggie in a 35 over run riot.

1 comment:

Sripad said...

Wow........... Congrats !!!! 205 @ turnham green ...... great...